Membership of the Society of Scribes and Illuminators
If you are ready to join the SSI then click here to see the rates for each membership category, otherwise, read on to learn more.
The Society of Scribes and Illuminators has currently has three membership categories:
A Lay Member of the SSI will:
- each year receive two issues of the Society's journal, The Scribe. This builds into a unique reference library of modern research, studies of historical hands, book reviews and innovative techniques.
- be regularly updated on events and happenings in calligraphy world-wide via the Newsletter four times a year. Members with access to the Internet will also find the SSI home page directing them to ongoing discussions.
- be able to contact the Secretary as a first stop for telephone advice.
- have access to advancement in the craft via the Advanced Training Scheme (for committed students with a high level of ability).
- be regularly informed about the activities of local groups of calligraphers (UK only).
- have access to the reference library of the SSI, held at the London College of Communication.
- be offered calligraphic supplies, videos, books and slides at competitive prices.
- be invited to exhibit at the annual Lay Members' Day Exhibition and receive a written critique from a Fellow.
- be invited to contribute work for selection in the Society's exhibitions.
- be able to attend all meetings of the Society. Guests may be brought to all meetings except the Research and Technical Day.
Friend of the SSI.
This is a membership category designed for enthusiastic calligraphers who cannot or do not wish to attend meetings and who do not wish to exhibit work. Friends will receive all the Society's mailings, including two copies of The Scribe and four SSI Newsletters per year. They may also attend workshops, use the Library and buy calligraphic supplies, books, videos and slides that the SSI are selling at competitive prices.
A Fellow of the Society is a calligrapher recognised by his or her peers to be at the pinnacle of achievement. Fellows are elected by other Fellows on the basis of work submitted to scrutiny.
Due to the above conditions, this membership category is not available though this web-site.
Details of criteria and expectations can be obtained from SSI's Honorary Secretary.
Interested in joining the SSI?
If you are interested in joining the SSI, click here to see the rates for each membership category.